The World Federation of Vascular Societies, whose membership consists of the major vascular societies of the world, provides a forum for the international exchange of scientific, educational and political issues related to the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of vascular diseases.
- The advancement at an international level of the knowledge and study of vascular surgery.
- To promote at an international level of research in all aspects of vascular disease and to disseminate the results of such research.
- To hold symposia or congresses and to distribute information.
- To advance the cooperation between national and regional vascular surgical societies, to facilitate the exchange of ideas, to share common experiences and to promote and standardize the education in vascular surgery.
- To encourage and promote at an international level best vascular surgical practice in the management of patients presenting with vascular diseases.
- To act as an international conduit for discussion between vascular surgeons and when appropriate to be a spokesperson at an international level for such surgeons.
A Symposium of the World Federation is held annually at the same time and place as the congress of one of the member societies. The first of these was held in Madrid during September 2007 during the annual meeting of the European Society for Vascular Surgery.
The World Federation is composed of member societies consisting of constituted regional Vascular Societies. Member societies are usually composed of a formally constituted association of national societies representing one of the major geographical regions of the world. The present members are: